Sep 5, 2008

Iftar @Masjid Jamek

Ramadhan 1429 is finally here. Last Monday was the first day of Ramadhan in Malaysia. I spend the first two days with family back in JB. It was a public holiday. There were no fireworks or concerts to usher the holy month, just a moment of peace.

On Wednesday I finally went back to KL to start work. I felt a change in the air. Ramadhan bazaars are everywhere and the masjids were busy preparing for Iftar. This Ramadhan I intend to visit various masjid in KL for Iftar and start a photo journal of Ramadhan. The first stop is Masjid Jamek. It is an old masjid in the city surrounded by palm trees. For a moment I felt I was somewhere else. It has a certain Moorish feel to it and a memory of an old friend from Memphis.

After collecting the Lambok poridge, drink, fruit and dates the crowd sat around in the extended wing talking to each other or just keeping to themselves. The women has their own private area. There are many foreigners that came. Some were tourists or just expatriates like me. Though diversed in nature but we gathered as one in the special month of Ramadhan.

More info: Masjid Jamek

No comments: